How do I sign up for lessons?
When you sign up for lessons, you will complete an enrolment form, sign two copies of the terms and conditions (one for your records), complete the standing order mandate and pay £25 enrolment fee.
On the first lesson, there will be an initial payment for lessons not covered by the standing orders. Lessons must be paid for in advance by cash or card.
A standing order is set up to start after your trial period for monthly payments from your bank account for the remainder of the academic year.
Do I need to bring a keyboard/guitar/drumkit?
No, all instruments are provided in the modern, up-to-date teaching studios.
Will I need to buy an instrument?
After the second lesson, students will need to start practising at home.
- Keyboards can be any model but must have at least 61 notes.
- Guitars must be full size but can be acoustic or electric.
- Drummers need only a practice pad and drum sticks – the size of a snare drum.
For complete beginners JJ's Music School can offer a range of guitars (Acoustic and Electric) and keyboards for rental from £10 per month. This is the perfect way for your child to be able to practice without the initial outlay of buying an instrument.
JJ’s Music School can offer competitively priced Yamaha starter instruments and advice on other models you may be considering – including second hand purchases.
Do you offer any fee reductions?
For every full paying member of your immediate family, another can join for a discounted rate.
How can I encourage my child to practice?
- On signing up, you will receive a ‘How to Inspire the Musician In Your Home’ document to put on your noticeboard at home
- You will receive a username and password to the ‘students only’ area of the website. There can be found that weeks homework set by the teacher in the format of a practice diary to be printed out at home and other helpful documents.
- Every book comes with the backing tracks on a CD so your child can sound great at home too even in the early stages of learning.
- Attend the homework section of each lesson by arriving ten minutes early. The teacher will invite you in to hear the homework set and you can ask questions to ensure understanding.
- Listen to your child practice at least once a week and enjoy their progress!
Where are the lessons held?
JJ’s Arts Academy
11 St Paul's Road
How much are the lessons?
All group lessons are charged at £13.50 per hour payable by monthly standing order.
Second instrument / immediate family rates are discounted.
All 1:1 lessons are charged at £30 per hour payable directly to the teacher.