The bootcamp will help consolidate, and expand upon, the theory knowledge that has been gained in lessons and will increase confidence in:
- Reading and writing pitch notation – scales, keys, chords and intervals (all treble clef)
- Reading and writing rhythmic notation
- Basic knowledge of performers, instruments and different genres of contemporary popular music.
- Harmonies and Writing chord progressions
- Transposing chord sequences
The course is ideal for the student about to start GCSE or BTEC Music as it will support both the composition and listening elements. After passing the Grade 3, students can take Grade 5 the following year and so earning an additional GCSE qualification.
During the Music Theory Bootcamp students will:
- Receive the Grade 3 Theory Workbook
- Complete at least 40 worksheets
- Play interactive games to increase theory knowledge
- Complete a MOCK Grade 3 paper at the end of the final day
After attending the course, it is essential that one practice paper a week is completed. This will take around 1 hour and is to be completed at home then handed into reception at JJ's Arts Academy. Each pass paper will be marked and returned with feedback.
The exam will be on Saturday 25th November 10am. The exam takes between 60 – 90 mins to complete. The date and time are non-negotiable as the whole country sits the exam at the same time.
This is a fully accredited course and looking to the future, the theory course goes all the way to Grade 8. Grade 5 is equivalent to a GCSE and Grade 8 is equivalent to an A Level. We have found that students who study this in line with their musical instrument lessons, gain a deeper understanding of music and learn to sight read, improvise and practice their pieces more effectively. This course complements GCSE, BTEC and A Level Music Studies at school/college.
- Total Cost: £195 (3 day bootcamp £120, Resources £30, Gr3 exam fee £45)
- Deposit: £50 by 17th July 2017, £145 by 31st July 2017
- Eligibility: Any student who is of at least Gr2 on their instrument/voice. Please talk to your teacher if you are unsure whether this is the correct level for you.
- Places: 8 available
- Venue: JJ's Arts Academy
- Places are given on a first come, first serve basis.
For more information or to apply then please contact us using the form above or by phone on 01626 332 286