The Grade 5 Theory Bootcamp covers the following subjects:
- Reading and writing pitch notation – scales, keys, chords and intervals (all treble clef)
- Reading and writing rhythmic notation
- Basic knowledge of performers, instruments and different genres of contemporary popular music.
- Harmonies and Writing chord progressions
- Transposing chord sequences
During the Music Theory Bootcamp students will:
- Receive the Grade 5 Theory Workbook
- Complete at least 100 worksheets
- Play interactive games to increase theory knowledge
- Research contemporary artists and writers
- Complete a MOCK Grade 5 paper at the end of the final day
After attending the course, it is essential that one practice paper a week is completed INCLUDING the essay requirement. This will take around one hour and is to be completed at home, then handed into reception at JJ's Arts Academy to be marked and returned with feedback.
It is essential that students are of Grade 3 Theory Level before attending the Grade 5 Bootcamp. Therefore, the following entry requirements are to followed;
A) Students must have achieved Grade Three Theory
B) If Grade Three Popular Music Theory HAS NOT been completed, the student MUST attend the Gr3 Bootcamp Mon 31st July to Wednesday 2nd August in addition to the Gr5 bootcamp. The £195 Gr3 Bootcamp fee is reduced to £90 if taken in conjunction with Gr5.
Please be advised that JJ's has to be firm with the entrance requirements as this is a comprehensive course and one that requires commitment from the student as we are covering a GCSE Level in six days of tuition.
The exam will be on Saturday 25th November 10am. The exam takes between 60 – 90 mins to complete. The date and time are non-negotiable as the whole country sits the exam at the same time.
This is a fully accredited course and the theory course goes all the way to Grade 8 - Grade 8 is equivalent to an A Level. We have found that students who study this in line with their musical instrument lessons, gain a deeper understanding of music and learn to sight read, improvise and practice their pieces more effectively.
- Total Cost: £230 (3 day bootcamp £120,Resources £50,Gr3 exam fee £60)
- If applicable, please add Gr3 Bootcamp reduced fee of £90
- Deposit: £50 by 17th July 2017, £170 (£260 if adding Gr3) by 7th August 2017
- Eligibility: Gr3 theory paper completed OR enrolment on Gr3 Bootcamp
- Places: 8 available
- Venue: JJ's Arts Academy
- Places are given on a first come, first serve basis.
For more information or to apply then please contact us using the form above or by phone on 01626 332 286